May 23, 2024

Was this message forwarded to you? Subscribe here

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook

NOAA issued its outlook for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season during a news conference at The National Press Club in Washington, DC.

NOAA’s outlook for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season, which spans from June 1 to November 30, predicts an 85% chance of an above-normal season, a 10% chance of a near-normal season and a 5% chance of a below-normal season.

NOAA is forecasting a range of 17 to 25 total named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher). Of those, 8 to 13 are forecast to become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 4 to 7 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). Forecasters have a 70% confidence in these ranges.

CLICK HERE for more information.

2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook

2024 Atlantic Tropical Cyclone Names

Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday

Florida's first 2024 Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday begins on Saturday, June 1, 2024, and ends on Friday, June 14, 2024. A second Disaster Preparedness Holiday begins on Saturday, August 24, 2024, and ends on Friday, September 6, 2024. During these sales tax holiday periods, tax is not due on the retail sale of eligible items related to disaster preparedness.

Eligible items include:

  • reusable ice (reusable ice packs) costing $20 or less
  • portable self-powered light sources such as candles, flashlights, and lanterns costing $40 or less
  • any gas or diesel fuel container, including LP gas and kerosene containers costing $50 or less
  • portable radios costing $50 or less
  • batteries, including rechargeable (AAA, AA, C, D, 6-volt, or 9-volt only) costing $50 or less
  • coolers and ice chests and portable power banks costing $60 or less
  • smoke detectors or smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, and carbon monoxide detectors costing $70 or less
  • bungee cords, ground anchor systems, ratchet straps, tarpaulins (tarps), visqueen, plastic sheeting, plastic drop cloths, and other flexible waterproof sheeting costing $100 or less
  • portable generators costing $3,000 or less

The holiday also includes a number of items related to the safe evacuation of household pets.

CLICK HERE for more information.

Are You Hurricane Ready?

Be ready for hurricane season. Take action TODAY to be better prepared for when the worst happens. Understand your risk from hurricanes, and begin pre-season preparations now. Make sure you understand how to interpret forecasts and alerts, and know what to do before, during, and after a storm. If you live in hurricane-prone areas, you are encouraged to prepare before hurricane season begins on June 1.

*Operational during an emergency event only

The City of Tampa Hurricane Re-Entry Program is for residents and businesses in the areas most likely to be evacuated during a hurricane event (within Zip Codes 33602, 33605, 33606, 33607, 33609, 33611, 33616, 33619, 33629, 33634 and MacDill Air Force Base 33621). It is designed to make it easier for residents and business representatives to re-enter the area after evacuation orders have been lifted.

CLICK HERE for more information, or to request passes.

Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training

The Tampa Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) is a program that trains citizens to be prepared for and respond to emergencies that may arise in their community. In the event of a major disaster such as a hurricane, emergency services personnel can initially become overwhelmed leaving citizens on their own. CERT training enables citizens to help themselves and their neighbors by applying basic response and organizational skills during an emergency. CERT members can also serve as first responders to an emergency until professional emergency services arrive.

The summer 2024 training session begins on June 5, 2024. CLICK HERE for more information.

Attention Business Owners and Property Managers

The City of Tampa and the Tampa Police Department need your assistance with emergency contact information. Providing this information will assist TPD, 911 operators, or other first responders with contacting your key holder or emergency personnel after-hours or in an emergency situation. CLICK HERE to enter your details today.

Frequently Called Numbers
Emergency 9-1-1
Police Non-Emergency (813) 231-6130
Code Enforcement (813) 274-5545
Animal Control (813) 744-5660
Solid Waste (813) 348-1112
Crime Stoppers of Tampa Bay (800) 873-TIPS
Crisis Center 2-1-1
Connect with us!
Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Linkedin