NMELC Staff Attorney Ann McCartney shaking hands with Pattie Murray-Preston, a member of the "Community Protestants" client group, after Judge Woods' ruling denying Augustin Plains Ranch, LLC's water grab appeal on Friday, April 5th in Reserve, NM.

Photo by Kendra Palmer

In This Week's Eblast


• Water Win in Southern NM! Augustin Plains Ranch (APR) Water Grab Appeal Denied!


• Announcing New Case: Fighting for Clean & Safe Drinking Water in Santa Teresa & Sunland Park


• Successful Donor Event in Las Cruces


• NMELC & Clients in the News


• Upcoming Events

  • Toxic Tour of Mountain View on Saturday, April 20th
  • Public Meetings Re State Land Office Giving Valle de Oro 212 More Acres on April 16 & May 18
  • CESOSS Fun Run, Sunday, April 14 & Acequia Walk & Talk, May 18

Water Win in Southern New Mexico!

APR Appeal Denied, Preventing Huge Water Grab!

NMELC Staff Attorney Ann McCartney (2nd from left) stands with members of the "Community Protestants" client group before the APR hearing on Friday, April 5, 2024, in Reserve, NM.

Photo by Kendra Palmer

Court Ruling Protects San Augustin Plains Groundwater 

from Out-of-State Water Grab


Reserve, NM —On Friday, April 5, Judge Roscoe Woods, of the 7th Judicial District, ruled from the bench that the New Mexico State Engineer was correct in denying Augustin Plains Ranch (APR) LLC’s application to mine and hoard tens of thousands of gallons per year of San Augustin Plains groundwater. 


The judge's decision was based on the fact that the application is speculative—ruling that APR failed to demonstrate an imperative need for the groundwater exists and failed to show that APR would be able to put the water to any beneficial use—a requirement under the New Mexico State Constitution. 


In a standing-room-only courtroom, more than a hundred community members heard the arguments of several attorneys awaiting a ruling on APR’s request to pump 54,000 acre feet per year of groundwater from San Augustin Plains, a closed basin (all water that falls in the basin stays in the basin) in southern New Mexico which will not be recharged by perennial streams.


The community members fighting against the water grab include small landowners, mostly from the Datil and Magdalena areas, who joined together to protect the groundwater which they rely on for their homes, gardens and livestock. Ricky and Patty Lindsey, adjoining landowners to the Augustin Plains Ranch said, “We were very relieved by Judge Woods’ ruling and the knowledge that our groundwater is safe for now—and are hopeful that this will come to an end after all these years.”


At the hearing, Judge Woods heard arguments from and asked many questions of attorneys for Augustin Plains Ranch, the State Engineer, the Catron County Commission, the Helen Hand Ranch, and two groups of residents of the area protesting against APR’s application, including a group called the Community Protestants, represented by NMELC. After 5 hours of arguments and rebuttal, the Judge granted the State Engineer’s Motion for Summary Judgment, ultimately preventing Augustin Plains Ranch from drilling and pumping water from 30 proposed wells, through which APR intended to pipe water upstate to municipalities north of Socorro such as Los Lunas and Belén—none of which have ever expressed a commitment to use such water. 


“The judge’s ruling keeps this precious water in the ground and upholds New Mexico law on beneficial use governing appropriation of water,” said NMELC Staff Attorney Ann McCartney. “It was telling that the counties of Catron and Socorro protested the application to drill from Augustin Plains Ranch. The cities of Magdalena and Socorro refused to take the groundwater if pumping it had been allowed,” McCartney continued.


Community members attending the hearing clapped enthusiastically when Judge Woods finished ruling and rose to leave the bench. Pattie Murray-Preston, a resident of Datil, said, “We are relieved that the judge agreed with the State Engineer and the attorneys. Hopefully, our long battle with this will come to an end. Thank you to NMELC for your continued fight against this attempted water grab.”                                         


For 17 years, many residents have been fighting against the removal of the fossil groundwater from the basin after APR filed its first application in 2007 to remove the water. Overall, the litigation has included two applications from APR to appropriate the groundwater and multiple appeals from the State Engineer’s decisions denying these applications to both the district court and the New Mexico Court of Appeals. 


“Community Protestants, year after weary year, have fought against the water speculation proposed by APR and are beyond ready for this to be over,” said McCartney.


APR is a New York-based company owned by Italian billionaire Bruno Modena.


Local resident E.K. Dodds said, “Since 2007, NMELC has walked hand-in-hand with the people of northern Catron County, defending the interests of our citizens, protecting us from an attack by foreign interests who want to destroy our way of life by mining our only source of water."


APR has 30 days after Judge Woods enters a written order to appeal his decision to the New Mexico Court of Appeals.     


Media coverage included a brief article in the Socorro-based newspaper El Defensor Chieftain on April 5th and a more in-depth front page article on April 11th.          

Announcing Our New Case:

Fighting for Clean & Safe Drinking Water

in Santa Teresa & Sunland Park

NMELC is excited to announce that we have taken on a new environmental justice case focused on working alongside clients and community members in Santa Teresa and Sunland Park in their battle for clean and safe drinking water in their neighborhoods. 


NMELC Staff Attorney Kacey Hovden and NMELC Executive Director Virginia Necochea met with residents in Santa Teresa this past Saturday who are very concerned about the safety and quality of their water.


Residents have shared concerns about smelly, slimy, discolored water as well as health concerns including skin rashes, nausea and vomiting.


NMELC is working with community members in supporting their fight for clean, safe drinking water for their families in the Santa Teresa and Sunland Park neighborhoods in Dona Aña County.


If you have questions or concerns, please contact the lead attorney on the Santa Teresa case, Kacey Hovden at khovden@nmelc.org or (505) 989-9022.

Successful Southern New Mexico

Donor Event Held in Las Cruces

We are excited to share that we had an incredible turnout at our Southern New Mexico donor event held on Saturday, April 6th in Las Cruces! Thank you to everyone who joined us to hear about NMELC’s precedent-setting legal work and updates about our newest case working with community members across Doña Ana County in addressing major water concerns. We are excited to share that we have officially taken on a case to work with clients in fighting for clean and safe drinking water in Southern New Mexico!


Many thanks to our Board President Johana Bencomo and Board Member Ramon Padilla for organizing this special event and a MAJOR thank you to Vivian Frietze for hosting the event at her beautiful home and for being such a gracious and welcoming host!


All of us at NMELC are excited to work in partnership with clients, community members, and ally organizations in helping to advance environmental justice in Southern New Mexico. 


Please reach out to us if you would like more information or would like to earmark a donation to support this important water case in Southern New Mexico.

NMELC Executive Director Dr. Virginia Necochea speaking to donors in Las Cruces last Saturday. NMELC Board Member Ramón Padilla is at left.

NMELC Board President Johana Bencomo speaks to donors in Las Cruces last Saturday. NMELC Staff Attorney Kacey Hovden listens at right.

NMELC & Clients in the News

ABQ Journal Bias Shown During Mountain View Coalition HEEI Hearing

Dr. Magda Avila, as a member of the Mountain View Neighborhood Association, published a powerful op-ed in the Albuquerque Journal earlier this week. It ran in the hard copy of the Sunday Journal on March 31st, but the digital version wasn't published until Tuesday, April 9th. It called out the Albuquerque Journal Editorial board for its highly biased coverage of the Health, Environment & Equity Impacts hearing.


Here's an excerpt from the OpEd:

"Mountain View and the coalition’s positionality were disrespected and minimized with an apparent misplaced glee in putting down community efforts. There was insult upon insult, including selecting industry over unpublished community editorial opinions.


The Journal Editorial Board appeared to have lost its objectivity by favoring industry over Mt. View … Editorial reporting bias was evident in subtle and not-so-subtle ways and industry’s viewpoint saturated opinion editorials.


The recent experience of the Mountain View Community to pass the Health Environment Equity Impact regulation revealed the ugly consequences of what can only be termed “industrial and local policy maker hysteria” which in turn created reactionary hysteria. The reactionary hysteria endangered lives in the form of threats, which led to threatening and hostile environments for community activists/leaders and the Air Quality Board members. ..."


Read the full Op-Ed here.

IACHR Hearing Continues to be Covered in the Media

The Associated Press quoted from two members of our DC Delegation in their article "Uranium is being mined near the Grand Canyon as prices soar and the US pushes for more nuclear power," and the article by Susan Montoya Bryan has been picked up by abcnews.com as well as 30-plus regional media outlets across the country.


Yale Environment 360, published by the Yale School of the Environment, ran an article about the IACHR and quoted from NMELC Legal Director Eric Jantz; however, Jantz observed that while he appreciated the IACHR hearing being covered, he was disappointed no frontline community members seemed to have been interviewed for this article, and that it gives a lot of print to the "both side-ism" narrative when it's very well documented that ISL is an environmental disaster. After over 45 years of commercial use, not a single ISL uranium mine has restored groundwater to pre-mining or drinking water standards. Once ISL mining contaminates groundwater, that water is forever off-limits for human use.

Also Linda Pentz Gunter wrote an extensive article on the Beyond Nuclear International blog about the hearing.


Here is an excerpt:


"The Native American speakers made the same plea they have reiterated for decades: effective cleanup and removal of the radioactive waste that has poisoned their communities and people, and will do so again as long as new uranium mines are allowed to go forward. And no new mines.


The personal stories they told the listeners — representatives from the US government, the IACHR panel and members of the public in the audience —were those of universal injustice against Indigenous communities, stories that have been told before and, seemingly, have to be told over and over. 

They are stories that are listened to and not heard, often not responded to and almost never acted upon. 


“We used to drink the spring water,” said Anfreny Badback of the Ute Mountain Ute Tribe, a member of the White Mesa Concerned Community who oppose operations at the White Mesa uranium mill near Blanding, Utah. “We don’t anymore.”


To read the full article click here.

Upcoming Events

Toxic Tour in Mountain View


The annual Toxic Tour of Mountain View will be held during the EJ Community Celebration at Valle de Oro National Wildlife Center. Saturday, April 20th, from 12:30pm-1:30pm, 7851 2nd Street SW 87105.

Speak Up for the Bosque Public Meeting


The New Mexico State Land Commission is holding a Public Meeting about a potential transfer of 212 acres to the USF&WS to expand the Valle de Oro National Wildlife Refuge. Tuesday, April 16 from 6pm-8pm at the Mountain View Community Center, and Saturday, May 18 from 10am to noon at Valle de Oro NWR Visitor Center.

CESOSS Events


CESOSS is holding a Fun Run on Sunday, April 14 from 10am to 2pm at Sanchez Farms, 1180 Arenal SW. They are also starting their Acequia Walk & Talks again, on May 18 at the Pajarito Acequia.


More information about upcoming CESOSS events as well as a moving tribute to Don Lorenzo Candelaria can be found in the Spring Edition of La Voz, CESOSS' newsletter.

If you received this email from a friend and are not a current subscriber,

you may sign up for our eblasts here: https://nmelc.org/sign-up/

Facebook  Twitter  Instagram

Our Contact Information


New Mexico Environmental Law Center

722 Isleta Blvd SW

Albuquerque, NM 87105


(505) 989-9022



https://nmelc.org/

Support NMELC Today!

Donate