PEP Member News | February 2022
PEP Member

Happy Mardi Gras! You know it's time for celebration when the City of Mobile's purple trash cans hit the streets. Be sure to utilize these special cans while enjoying your Mardi Gras parades and traditions.
The City recently released results of a recycling survey which revealed 70% of Mobilians find recycling very important, and more than half are already recycling common household products. The survey also provided data about why the remaining 30% of Mobilians do not recycle. We have provided a link below to the City news release and the full survey results.

We are in the final weeks of our 2022 membership renewals, and the renewal deadline is February 28th. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Jennifer Denson, Executive Director

Applications are now open until March 18, 2022! If you or your children are attending college or graduate school, be sure to consider the PEP scholarship program! This $2,500 scholarship is designated for local employees of PEP member companies and dependents. The application for the 2022 PEP Scholarship is open through March 18, 2022. More information can be found at this link.
PEP’s 2022 Membership Renewal deadline is February 28th! PEP benefits: member-only events, advertising and sponsorship opportunities, reduced tickets to the Reverse Trade Show and more, education seminars about sustainability. Your membership helps to protect and enhance the environment of the Alabama Gulf Coast.
After you renew, please keep an eye out for your 2022 Member Window Cling to arrive in the mail. We hope you will proudly display it at your business.

If you know a company that would benefit from PEP membership, please share our newsletter and refer them to our website for an application.
The 2022 PEP Environmental Stewardship Awards application is live on our website. Please be sure to nominate a member company – or your own company – no business or project is too small. The focus of the awards is on best practices and innovation and not simply overall environmental impact. Quality, creativity and commitment count!  

Application Deadline: Monday, March 15, 2022, at 5:00pm

PEP hosted a Virtual Lunch and Learn on February 18, 2021. Susie Westrup Vincent, Director of Client Solutions, U. S. Green Building Council, discussed the TRUE certification program. The TRUE certification program enables facilities to define, pursue and achieve their zero waste goals, cutting their carbon footprint and supporting public health. PEP Members can earn certification as a TRUE Advisor. Susie offered many resources and a discount code for PEP Members.
Last fall, the University of South Alabama conducted a survey to gauge residents’ knowledge, usage, and expectations for City of Mobile recycling options and services. The City recently released the survey results and plan to use the data to provide greater public outreach and explore additional recycling resources.
WKRG Growing the Gulf Coast: Restoring Shoreline
WKRG recently visited the Lightning Point Shoreline Restoration project in Bayou la Batre, AL. The PEP Board of Directors recently awarded the 2021 Community Partner award to The Nature Conservancy for this significant coastal habitat uplift. PEP also recognized members Moffat & Nichol for their engineering leadership and management of this project. Other PEP members involved in this broad project include Alabama Power and Rowe Engineering. 

Return the completed form to Jennifer at