Facebook  Twitter  Pinterest  

Real Poison Center Case

A mother called the poison center about her 22-month-old baby possibly eating grounded up cherry pits that were in her mouth. The mom reported that the child had been playing with cherries and had put several pits in her mouth but did not swallow them. The child was alert and responsive but was experiencing some mild abdominal pain.


Cherry pits contain a small amount of cyanide, which can be toxic if ingested in large quantities. The child had not swallowed any pits and had only been chewing on them, so the risk of toxicity was low. 


The specialist in poison information let the mother know to observe the child for any worsening symptoms and to seek medical help immediately if any other symptoms appeared or the abdominal pain got worse.


Cherry pits are more of a choking hazard for small children, so it is important to remove the pits for small children. 

Poster & Video Contest


National Poison Prevention Week is March 19-25, 2023 and the Texas Poison Center Network is hosting its yearly Poison Prevention Poster & Video Contest. While providing a valuable learning experience, the poster & video contest offers students the opportunity to educate the public about poison prevention as well as win exciting prizes!


Poster Contest:

The poster contest is open to all 3rd, 4th & 5th grade students. The winning poster will advance to our state contest to compete for the grand prize ($200 Gift Card) from the Commission on State Emergency Communications(CSEC). For information on the poster contest, click here to contact your regional poison center educator for more information.

Video Contest:

If you're a high school or college student in Texas, create a 30-90 second poison prevention video, enter it in the Texas Poison Center Network Video Contest, and help us celebrate National Poison Prevention Week 2023 in style! Click here to download the entry form.

Carefully read the contest rules, ask a parent or guardian to complete the online contest entry form and get started! Better move fast, though, because your finished video must be uploaded to YouTube & a link emailed to Lizbeth.petty@phhs.org no later than March 1, 2023. The 1st place winner will receive a $200 gift card from The Commission on State Emergency Communications(CSEC).

Roses are red, Wolf's bane are Poisonous?

The beautiful flower has been gaining recognition from popular shows like "YOU" and "Ginny and Georgia". In both Netflix series, it shows the intent to poison a person using Wolf's bane.


Wolfsbane, also known as Aconitum napellus, is a perennial plant that is native to Europe and Asia. It is a member of the buttercup family and is known for its beautiful blue or purple flowers. However, despite its beauty, wolfsbane is highly toxic and should be handled with care.


The toxic elements of wolfsbane are found primarily in the roots and leaves of the plant. These toxins, known as aconitine and other diterpenoid alkaloids, can cause a range of symptoms if ingested or applied to the skin.


Symptoms can include tingling and numbness, as well as a burning sensation in the mouth and throat. In severe cases, ingesting wolfsbane can lead to muscle weakness, respiratory failure, and even death. The toxic effects of wolfsbane can also be absorbed through the skin, and contact with the plant can lead to skin irritation and rashes. Because of this, it is important to wear gloves when handling the plant and to wash your hands thoroughly after coming into contact with it.

Wolfsbane has been used throughout history as a poison, and it was even used by ancient warriors to poison their enemies' weapons.


In traditional medicine, it has been used to treat certain ailments such as rheumatism, gout, and neuralgia. However, due to its toxicity, it is not recommended for use as a medicine and should be avoided. In summary, wolfsbane is a beautiful but highly toxic plant. Its toxins, aconitine and other diterpenoid alkaloids, can cause a range of symptoms if ingested or applied to the skin. It should be handled with care and avoided as a medicine.


If you think you were exposed to wolf's bane, please call 1-800-222-1222.

Visit our website
Contact Us
Order Materials

Check out the Texas Poison Center Network's Blog