JULY NEWSLETTER



Facebook  Twitter  Pinterest  


Real Poison Center Case


A child was at a fourth of July celebration and accidently ate the contents of a glow stick. The child's parents immediately called the poison center upon finding out. The specialist in poison information asked the parents if the child had any signs of an allergic reaction and the parents notified the specialist that there was no sign of an allergic reaction. The specialist let the parents to know that ingestion of glow sticks chemicals was a common occurrence in children and was not usually considered a medical emergency. The specialist also let the parent know that the symptoms to keep an eye out for are mouth irritation, nausea and vomiting, and upset stomach.

 

Glow sticks typical contain chemicals like hydrogen peroxide and fluorescent dye. While the chemicals in most glow sticks are generally considered low risk, ingestion can cause mild symptoms and discomfort. If you have questions about glow sticks or their ingredients, please call your local poison center.

Stay Safe with Glow Sticks!



We're shining a light on an important topic: Glow Stick Precautions. While glow sticks can add a touch of magic to any occasion, it's crucial to prioritize safety. So let's delve into some valuable tips and guidelines to ensure your glow stick experience remains unforgettable for all the right reasons.


  • Handle with Care Glow sticks contain chemicals within a fragile casing, so treat them gently. Avoid bending or breaking them forcefully, as this can cause leakage. Remember, mishandling glow sticks not only ruins the fun but can also expose you to potentially harmful substances.


  • Keep Glow Sticks Away from Your Mouth While glow sticks are generally non-toxic, it's important to prevent accidental ingestion. They are not meant to be chewed, bitten, or used as straws. Discourage children from putting glow sticks in their mouths and closely supervise young ones to ensure their safety.



  • Avoid Contact with Eyes Glow sticks are designed for external use only. If the contents come into contact with your eyes, rinse them immediately with cool water and call the poison center right away.  Be cautious when using glow sticks around children, as accidental eye contact can occur during play.

Firework Safety!


While fireworks can be a dazzling spectacle, it is crucial to be aware of the potential hazards associated with the chemicals and metals used to create those vibrant bursts of color. Let's delve into the world of fireworks and understand the risks posed by toxic materials.


Lead: Historically, lead was used in fireworks to produce vibrant colors.

However, due to its toxic nature, it has been phased out in many countries. Exposure to lead can lead to serious health problems, particularly in children. It is essential to avoid handling or inhaling smoke from fireworks containing lead.


Perchlorates: Perchlorates, such as potassium perchlorate, are commonly used as oxidizers in fireworks to produce brilliant colors and generate the necessary oxygen for combustion. While they contribute to the visual spectacle, perchlorates can be harmful to human health and the environment. These compounds have the potential to contaminate soil and water, posing risks to both ecosystems and human health.


Barium: Barium compounds are responsible for the vibrant green colors seen in fireworks displays. However, barium is a toxic substance that should be handled with care. Ingestion or prolonged exposure to barium can lead to health issues, including gastrointestinal problems and muscular weakness.


Copper: Copper compounds are commonly used to create captivating blue hues in fireworks. While admired for their beauty, copper can be harmful if ingested or if it comes into contact with the skin. Proper precautions should be taken to minimize exposure.


Strontium: Strontium salts are used to produce vivid red colors in fireworks. Similar to other chemicals used in pyrotechnics, strontium can be toxic if mishandled. Avoid direct contact with strontium compounds to minimize the risk of adverse effects.


By being mindful of the toxic materials present in fireworks and

taking appropriate precautions, we can ensure a safer celebration for

ourselves, our loved ones, and the environment.

Remember, a dazzling fireworks display can be enjoyed responsibly when we understand and address the potential risks associated with

toxic materials.


If you, suspect that you, or someone you know, has questions about fireworks or was exposed to fireworks, contact your local poison center immediately for advice. Poison centers are available 24/7 to provide free, confidential, and expert medical advice.

Visit our website
Contact Us
Order Materials

Check out the Texas Poison Center Network's Blog