Facebook  Twitter  Pinterest  

Real Poison Center Case

During a safety camp class, a child was standing in the shade with his friends. His friend noticed that there was a few mushrooms in the ground and dared him to eat one. The child was hesitant to do the dare but he picked a mushroom and ate it. The adult leading the class saw what happened and called the poison center immediately. The specialist in poison information told the adult to rinse out the child’s mouth and remove any remaining pieces of mushroom. The adult was also advised that the child would need to be monitored for the next 24 hours. Ingestion of toxic mushrooms may cause delayed symptoms such as seizures and liver failure. This was a good learning experience for the child, friend, and adult to know not to touch or ingest wild mushrooms outside. 

Wild mushrooms found outside should be left alone and never ingested. If accidentally ingested, please call your poison center at 1-800-222-1222 for treatment recommendations.  

Did you know?

The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has heard everyone loud and clear and recently changed the Nutrition Facts Label. This is the first major change in 20 years. This refresh will make it easier for the public to read and make informed decisions about their food choices for a healthier lifestyle. Some of the changes include a larger fonts for servings sizes and calorie count. You can read more here

Death Cap Mushrooms

Scientifically known as Amanita phalloides (a·muh·nee·tuh fa·loydz); this mushroom is a  poisonous fungus. It's cap, the top part of the mushroom, may be white in color but it is usually pale green to yellow. They give out no distinctive odor or taste and closely resemble other nontoxic mushrooms. The toxin that causes all these issues listed below is called Amatoxin. There is no known antidote and it cannot be killed by cooking the mushroom or applying heat. The scary part is that a tiny dose of amatoxin is enough to kill a human and a single mushroom is enough to kill multiple humans. 

Some signs and symptoms to look out for include:

Mild sign and symptoms:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Coughing

Deadly signs and symptoms:

  • Abdominal cramps
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting 
  • Organ failure
  • Death

It's always best to call your local poison center if you're ever outside and curious about a mushroom that crosses your path. 

Visit our website
Contact Us
Order Materials